Saturday, November 8, 2014

Post 18 -- The E-Celeb Mindset

I'm going to be writing another short piece on KingofPol soon. Tonight, I want to blow shit up with friends in World of Tanks.

I do want to hash out one thing, however. In the wake of the KingofPol incident, the fallout was primary directed at what people were labeling "e-celebrity". These are people who aim to gain attention within an online space of (mostly) online individuals. There's a focus on elements such as Twitter followers, retweets, group friends, and blog views. This e-celeb mindset, of which KingofPol was claimed to have wanted, was called out as counter productive to #GamerGate.

So, I find myself on Twitter, attempting to follow whatever happenings there are, and I cannot seem to find anything. Why? Because there are no less than 5 people who have been clogging up my feed with ask.fm or similar answers. This is understandable when people are asking about important things (e.g., "when's the next video?", "thoughts on suchandsuch advertiser pulling out?"), but there is nothing by conversation which can only be described as talk to me online personality, I'm lonely.

Is that the ultimate undoing of #GamerGate? A couple dozen people who are too caught up answering stupid questions (yes, those exist) to anonymous people? Where has the intensity gone? Where has the rhetoric disappeared to?

Quit answering questions. Quit making yourself into an e-celebrity. It's a distraction. Want to blow off steam? Do a 60 minute stream, invite a few randoms on, shoot the shit, and then get back to your life. Do not get lost in the minutia of bullshit.

This has been an unedited rant. @nrokchi

No comments:

Post a Comment